Business Report

Gauteng Gambling Board CEO fired amid explosive corruption findings

GOVERNANCE

Siphelele Dludla|Published

Gauteng MEC for Economic Development Vuyiswa Ramokgopa said the report directly implicated Mbele in several serious governance failures.

Image: Supplied

Gauteng MEC for Economic Development, Vuyiswa Ramokgopa has dismissed Gauteng Gambling Board CEO, Dr Karabo Mbele, with immediate effect after a forensic investigation uncovered serious allegations of financial misconduct, procurement irregularities and governance failures at the entity.

Speaking at a media briefing on Monday, Ramokgopa said the findings of an independent forensic report painted a deeply troubling picture of institutional collapse within the Gauteng Gambling Board.

The report, compiled by an independent legal team led by Advocate William Mokhare SC, was commissioned in 2025 by former MEC Lebogang Maile and completed in January this year.

Ramokgopa said since taking office six weeks ago, she had been inundated with whistleblower complaints detailing alleged misconduct and maladministration at the gambling regulator.

“It is deeply concerning therefore that since assuming office six weeks ago, I have been inundated with whistleblower reports, many of whom requested to remain anonymous, citing various instances of misconduct, malfeasance and maladministration at the gambling board,” she said.

According to Ramokgopa, the forensic report corroborated many of the whistleblower allegations and revealed procurement irregularities, financial misconduct, breaches of the Public Finance Management Act and abuse of public resources.

Ramokgopa said the report directly implicated Mbele in several serious governance failures, including interference in funding adjudication processes, approving funding before governance procedures were completed, authorising payments without supporting documentation and failing to comply with oversight obligations.

“Given the gross nature of the findings, and after careful consideration of the recommendations contained in the report, it has become clear to me that the status quo at the Gauteng Gambling Board cannot continue,” Ramokgopa said.

“I have therefore acted on the recommendations of the report and terminated the contract of employment of the CEO, Dr Karabo Mbele, with immediate effect.”

The investigation also implicated the board’s chief financial officer, Oscar Maripane, who has now been suspended pending disciplinary proceedings.

Ramokgopa said the findings against Maripane included failures in financial governance, procurement irregularities, non-compliance with the PFMA and breakdowns in internal controls and statutory reporting obligations.

She stressed that the decisions were not politically motivated but were necessary to restore stability and public confidence in the institution.

“This is not a decision that has been taken hastily or for political expediency but rather, a necessary step towards stabilising this very important institution and restoring confidence in its leadership,” she said.

Ramokgopa also revealed that the Gauteng Gambling Board currently does not have a fully constituted board after several board members resigned in December last year. As a result, government will begin the process of appointing an administrator while a new board is established.

The Gauteng Gambling Board plays a critical role in regulating gambling activities across the province, issuing licences and collecting gambling taxes that contribute towards provincial revenue streams.

Build One South Africa (BOSA) welcomed the decision to dismiss Mbele and suspend Maripane, saying it confirms that the serious allegations raised by the party warranted urgent intervention and accountability.

On Friday last week, BOSA's Member of Provincial Legislature, Ayanda Allie, laid criminal charges against Mbele following allegations of fraud, corruption, abuse of office, and conflicts of interest.

BOSA thanked the whistleblowers who came forward with information and documentation that helped expose the alleged wrongdoing and made this action necessary, saying their courage in speaking out in the public interest must be commended and protected.

"The developments now give further impetus to the criminal charges already laid and strengthen the need for a full criminal investigation into the matter. BOSA now calls on the South African Police Service and the Hawks to move swiftly and decisively to investigate the allegations and ensure that justice is served without fear, favour or delay," it said.

Meanwhile, Ramokgopa warned that the rapid growth of online gambling and increased gambling participation among young people made it even more important for the entity to function effectively and ethically.

“With the surge in online gambling and the proliferation of gambling especially among young people it is more important than ever that this entity is fully capacitated to fulfil its mandate,” she said.

BUSINESS REPORT